Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Community

Tomorrow’s Thanksgiving. You know, that day we sit around the table, eating too much food, and conjure up some words of gratitude? Then, we fall asleep with our pants unbuttoned, dirty dishes in the sink, and ponder where to put the Christmas tree.

But, for that one moment, that day of communal thanks…we’re reminded of all the great things in our lives.

Last weekend, I had a friend visit me from the states. He got to see the life I’ve been living here, on Paros. Now, I don’t know if it’s just me who does this, but when someone close to me is out of their comfort zone and experiencing something about my life, I tend to put myself in their place. I begin to hear words as they might. See surroundings through their eyes. In doing so, I’m able to get a glimpse at something that I might have been overlooking.

For example, my visiting friend, Russell, and I were walking down the same street that I walk everyday to class. He stopped and turned down a pathway that I’d never really seen before. I followed him up the steps, and there was this beautiful marble castle. I guess I’d noticed it while walking before, but I’d never really stopped to take it in. It was remarkable. The same thing happened later on, when we spent some quality time with my new friends.

The group up at the Temple of Apollo

Everyone roaming the grounds of Artemis and Apollo

Listening to Cameron talk about Apollo and Artemis

The group went up to see the Temple of Apollo and have lunch at this beautifully secluded house in the hills. The 360 view of the island was mouth-dropping. Adorned with quirky fixtures and collections from all over the world, this obscure building felt like a home. We sat around the fireplace, ate delicious food, napped, told stories, sang, laughed. It was perfect.

Talking around the patio table, after lunch

Gorging on the delicious home-made food

There was a moment when I sat and took it all in, trying to see what Russell might be seeing. I watched Lynne do impressions, making everyone laugh hysterically. I listened in as Marcus gushed over the delicious food we were eating. I smelled the wood-burning fireplace, crackling next to the sleeping Catherine. The room was filled with friends. Happy, joy-filled friends. People, who were complete strangers less than 3 months ago, were now joined as if they’d been mates for life. The amount of gratitude and love in that warm, little room was immaculate.

I realized something, then.

There is such a need for fellowship and community. A need for relationship. Conversation. People who, though aren’t always like-minded, will make you think. Believe in yourself. Laugh about struggles. Dream about passions. All of these quintessential ideas are surrounded by the people who ignite them.

Whether it’s on a Greek island with totally new friends…or at home, in your dining room, with the family you’ve always known. This community of loved ones is the most necessary thing for us, as humans. I’m not sure if I’d have realized the community I have here, had I not taken a step back to evaluate things from the new perspective of my friend.

Tomorrow’s Thanksgiving. What do you have to be thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment