Monday, September 12, 2011

First Day of Classes

I know it may seem shocking, but we actually have to attend classes while in paradise. I know, crazy right? But today was my first day of classes. I had Literature and Film Studies.

My homework for Literature class is to read Books 1 & 4 of "The Odyssey"

Film Studies is going to be an awesome class. Right up my alley. I'm very excited to learn and discuss the differences between books and films and the writing differences between the two. It's exactly what I want to do, and my teacher (who's also my Creative Writing teacher) is incredible and knowledgable. I couldn't be in a better position to learn about this craft I've grown to love.

Our view from Skip's, while eating gyros


After classes today, I got gelato with some good friends. We ended up talking for a long while on the shore and watching the sunset. It was a nice break from all of the craziness that goes on. The coolest part, however, was running into some of our teachers and being invited to sit with them for awhile. We got to talk with and learn more about their lives. It was very intimate and casual.

Anna and I on the beach after class, gelato, and gyros

It's such a unique experience here. Very hard to verbalize, like I've said before, and it's definitely one-of-a-kind. Everything from the student selection to the curriculum is tailored to ensuring the students' individual progress, experience, and growth as an artist. I can't even begin to explain in words how incredible this is going to be in hopes of making myself a better writer and more.

Tomorrow is Creative Writing, finally. I'm so excited for that class. Being in this environment, working with published authors and screenwriters as teachers, and having one-on-one attention with my writing is seriously the closest thing to perfection. I couldn't have created a better context to be working and growing in.

No comments:

Post a Comment