Friday, September 9, 2011

Pre-Paros Recap

After traveling for what seems like weeks, we're finally going to be arriving at Paros tomorrow. Traveling alone in London was quite an experience. Emotionally and mentally. It was strange being completely alone; not to mention, in a foreign country. But I'm really glad I did it. There's something to be said about traveling and exploring new places on your own. And what better city to do it in than London? It was definitely something I will remember forever.

Coming to Athens was like culture shock after London. Other than the obvious change in weather (cold and rainy in London v. hot and humid in Athens), the culture and overall surroundings are 100% different.

Temple near the Acropolis

There are ancient landmarks and ruins in the centers of every neighborhood. You'll be walking down the street, and you'll literally walk through a 2,000 year-old church or archway. It's incredible. I still can't get over the fact that one of thee oldest buildings in the world (the Parthenon) is visible from our hostel.

Also, it's been a change being around people now. After being alone in London, I'm surrounded by all of the other students here. It's nice. There are so many different dynamics and personalities.

For example, my roommate while we're at the hostel, Catherine, is a firecracker. Mrs. Crazy Outgoing is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is down for anything. She's completely insane but in the best possible way.

 
Catherine and me in front of the Parthenon

Then, there's Isabelle. She's from Seattle, and while she's more timid than Catherine, she's a very intellectual person. She hasn't quite discovered what it is that she wants to do with her life, but I can tell that she's really excited for the journey to finding out.

Isabelle taking pictures, with the Parthenon behind her

Among the few other students, there are the teachers. The first teacher I met in the airport. His name is Alex. He's a young, nomadic guy who's lived all over the world. I've had the pleasure of talking with him a few times. From what I can tell, he's quite the intellectual, almost overbearingly so. But I can tell that I'm going to enjoy his company.

I'm very excited to be exposed to all of these immensely different personalities. This semester shall be interesting, especially when we finally get to school tomorrow.

Off to dinner with everyone for a real, authentic Greek meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment