Monday, September 26, 2011

A Long Way From Home

I think the hardest part of this experience is not having the people close to me...close to me. That probably goes without saying, but it's the sensation I've been getting a lot lately. I'm not homesick, by any means. I just really miss my friends and family. I wish they could expereince this with me.

The deeper into this place that I get, the more I realize how lucky I am to have like-minded, supportive people in my life at home. It's a challenge, emotionally and spiritually, being totally alone. While yes, I get along well with all of the other students here (all 16 of them), priorities are really different and that can be lonely.

I'm taking everyday in stride, and I'm nothing but grateful to be here. I'm just at that point where the reality of three and a half months is hitting me. 

Looking at the calendar, there are 12 weeks before I'm home. That's either 12 weeks to focus on getting home and seeing my loved ones...or 12 weeks to soak up as much of this adventure as possible. Because once I'm home, I'm home. And I won't get this time back.

I guess I can manage the BORING extra-curricular activities we have here...

Zack, Grace, Anna, Lynne, Cat, and me in the caves of Antiparos


Cat, Anna, Grace, and me on our daytrip to Delos and Mykonos


Kerri, Lynne, and me walking down the shorefront in Paroikia


Cliff-jumping into the Mediterranean on Paros


Yes, I suppose I can manage these next few months. Home will come soon enough.

Until then,
Kalimera Paros

No comments:

Post a Comment