Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Jet Lag

After over 24 hours of no sleep, two airplanes, four trains, a bunch of misdirections, and one breakdown, I have finally arrived in London!

I'm not going to lie, it was rough getting here. In every possible way. Mainly mentally and emotionally, though. I don't think that the fact that I'm in a foreign country completely alone hit me until I was walking around Westminster for 30 minutes, alone , looking for my hostel.

I'll spare the sob story about how I allowed myself a little pity part when I first arrived (I would like to partially blame the jet lag).

What I will share, however, are the many things I have learned and experienced today:

1. That awkward moment when you have to wake up the guy next to you on the plane so that you can pee.

2. That other awkward moment when you're almost certain that two women are definitely talking about you in German, in the Chicago airport.

3. Note to self: Accept the umbrella when it's offered to you by the hotel man (because it will begin to rain like the freaking apocalypse).

4. The sweet and talkative Indian woman from the souvenir shop is very helpful in recommending great restaraunts!

5. When on a Transatlantic flight for 8 hours...take a Tylenol PM.

6. Make sure you have the correct directions to your hostel before beginning a 30 minute goose chase...in the rain...with all of your luggage.

7. Did I mention it rains here?

Waiting out the apocalypse with a familiar friend

8. When it rains like it's the end of the world, do as the Londonians do and share a doorstep!

9. In the UK, men and women share public restrooms; so do not give the man washing his hands a confused look.

10. When you feel alone and scared in a foreign country, go for a walk and be around people. That's honestly what helped me feel more comfortable. There's life outside of the cozy US, apparently.

Tomorrow is the double-decker bus tour of London. I'll go prepared with my camera fastened around my neck, my running shoes and cargo shorts, paired with a tacky hawaiian-print shirt (and you can't forget the pinned lanyards!)

No comments:

Post a Comment